Public Building Commission's Public Art Policy
PROPOSAL - An annual exhibition schedule showcasing two-dimensional works by Nebraska Artists within the County City Building first floor hallway utilizing the following procedure and protocol.
CALL FOR ARTISTS - COUNTY/CITY BUILDING
The County City Building located at 555 South 10th Street, Lincoln, Nebraska, managed by the Lincoln Lancaster County Public Building Commission, seeks two-dimensional art created by Nebraska visual artists for its 2013-2014 exhibition season. Located on the first floor of the County City Building this venue would display the work of four artists or art collaborations over the course of one year, with each artist receiving a three/four month exhibition period. Artists will be selected by a Committee consisting of the Exhibition Coordinator, a Commissioner from the Public Building Commission, an employee of the Mayor's Office and a member of the community selected by the Public Building Commission. This committee will select artwork to be displayed based on the Artists' Eligibility/Exhibition Requirements.
Artists may apply by submitting, along with a self addressed stamped return envelope, a cd of 10 representative images of their work along with an artist statement, resume and press release to the Exhibition Coordinator, Liz Shea-McCoy, 2700 Sheridan Blvd, Lincoln, Nebraska, 68502.
Application deadline: JUNE 1, 2013
Contact Liz Shea (402)430-5923 email@example.com
ARTISTS' ELIGIBILITY/EXHIBITION REQUIREMENTS:
- The Artist must be a Nebraska resident, 21 years of age or older and not enrolled in a visual arts degree-granting program.
- The artwork must be two-dimensional (paintings, drawings, prints, photos, textiles/fiber and mixed media).
- Each work must be suitable for public display within the County City Building, as determined by the selection committee in its sole discretion.
- The exhibition space is approximately 54 total feet and weight of any individual framed piece may not exceed 90 pounds. Floor Plan Layout
- Artists shall assume all costs for matting, framing, hanging hardware (ready to hang with wire on the back), transporting and insurance, and are required to assist in the installation and take down processes.
- Artists will be required to execute a "placement agreement" holding the Exhibition Coordinator, Public Building Commission, County and City harmless from any damage, theft or loss.
- Following an established informational and aesthetic prototype, Artists may create a professional placard for each piece of art noting title, medium and price.
- Artists shall create an 8 1/2" by 11" Artist Statement including contact information to be displayed as a part of the exhibit. The artist will be responsible for responding directly to any inquiries.
- Unless the Public Building Commission determines that public benefit requires early removal of an exhibit or portion thereof, installed artwork must be exhibited throughout the three/four-month display period, regardless of whether it may have been sold.
- Artists may create and mail an invitation providing information about his or her exhibition including a title or theme, building hours, etc.
- Artists will be provided the opportunity to host one evening reception for the public in the first floor hallway of the County City Building in conjunction with the First Friday Art Walk to be scheduled and organized in cooperation with the Exhibition Coordinator. All food, beverages, napkins, cups, etc. shall be provided by the Artist. Alcoholic beverages may not be served.
EXHIBITION COORDINATOR'S RESPONSIBILITIES
- On an annual basis, work with the Selection Committee to select four Nebraska Artists to exhibit their two-dimensional work within the County City Building's first floor hallway.
- Coordinate an installation schedule and assist the Artists in installing and taking down their work.
- Coordinate all receptions and press release materials
- Communicate regularly with the Public Building Commission on matters concerning the exhibitions including reception schedules, press releases, etc.