Skip to: Page Content | Menu Bar | Main Navigation | Search | Page Footer

Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?
3131 O Street, Suite 2106, Lincoln, NE 68510.
How do I apply for General Assistance?
A formal application is required. You may pick-up an application in our office, download one from our web page, or call and we will mail one to you.
What documentation is needed?
The required documentation will depend on the type of assistance being requested. In most instances, our Intake Caseworker will review the application on the day it is received and mail a checklist of required documents to the applicant. The required documentation must be returned within the time frame indicated.
How long does the application process take?
The application process can take anywhere from 2 to 30 days depending on how responsive the applicant is when additional documentation is requested. State statutes require that a decision on all applications for general assistance be made within 30 days of the submission of the application.
What services do you offer?
We can provide assistance with:
  1. Medical care provided through the primary care health clinic or authorized by a clinic physician;
  2. Cremation (no pre-planning);
  3. Shelter (which may include deposit, rent, and utilities);
  4. Star Tran bus passes;
  5. Non-food voucher for necessities (including household supplies and personal care items);
  6. Referrals to other programs that may be able to assist you.
For many of our services we have guidelines that establish a maximum amount for the type of assistance being provided. Many of these same services can be obtained through other agencies or through other programs and when available, that agency or service must be utilized.
What about health care? Can I still use my own Doctor?
In most cases, no. Primary Care services are provided by Bluestem Health. Referrals to outside providers will be completed and approved when the services required are beyond the capability of this agency.
Bookmark and Share