Safety Training Option Program
City of Lincoln / Lancaster County
Dismiss Your Minor Traffic Citation
Attend a 4-hour Defensive Driving Course or take it online
- No Fine
- No Court Appearance
- No Points on Your Record
- Improve Your Driving Habits
If you have participated in a Safety Training Option Program (S.T.O.P.) in Nebraska in the last three years you are NOT eligible.
How Can I Enroll?
Offenses Not Eligible
- Leaving the scene of an accident
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Willful reckless or reckless driving
- Speed contest
- Flee to avoid arrest
- Refuse breath or blood test
- Driving while suspended
- Injury accidents
- Speeding more than 19 mph over the speed limit
- Eligible if renewed
- No insurance
- No valid driver's license
- No valid registration
- Multiple offenses (certain multiple offenses are eligible, call for more information)
- CDL Operator's License holder
- School bus violation
- Using handheld device (texting)
When to Enroll
Register for the S.T.O.P. program within ten (10) working days by 5:00pm on the last date after receipt of the ticket to avoid payment of court costs.
If you register and pay after ten (10) working days, you will need to pay court costs to Lancaster County after you register.
How to Enroll
You can register in person at one of the following addresses:
633 S. 9th St, Ste. 101
Lincoln, NE 68508
Nebraska Safety Council, Inc.
3243 Cornhusker Hwy, Ste. 10
Lincoln, NE 68504-1592
What to Bring With You when you enroll:
- Citation (issued in Lancaster County)
- Valid Driver's License
- Social Security Number
- $100.00 Cash, Credit Card** or Money Order (non-refundable)
- Plus if you did not have any of the following at the time of the citation
- Insurance Card
- Valid registration
**Credit Card processing fees are applicable
The Traffic Diversion Program Must Be Completed Within 60 Days After Receipt of the Citation.